Sunday, January 24, 2016

The Plague!

We have had quite a week, which has led to a delay in posting about Jeremiah's 3rd birthday!

Last Sunday, we had a really fun party for him at Pump It Up. Here is a preview of the fun!

However, about 8 hours after the party ended, I woke up to the sound of a barking cough coming from Nathaniel! He had a temperature of 103!  I took him to the doctor that morning and he was diagnosed with croup. Luckily, I had the day off for Martin Luther King Day, but that meant I couldn't get anything I had planned on done!  But it was nice to spend the day cuddling Nathaniel since we don't really get that one on one time like I did with Jeremiah.

At 3:30, my phone rang and it was daycare. My heart sunk a little when I saw that!  Jeremiah had woken up from his nap with a fever and needed to be picked up.  So now we have two sick little ones!

Tuesday, the boys were with my parents at home and Nathaniel seemed to be rebounding. Jeremiah, on the other hand, wouldn't eat or drink almost anything. His fever was continuing.

Wednesday, Nathaniel went to daycare (he'd been fever free for about 30 hours, but still had a cough).  Jeremiah stayed home with John.  He started to show major signs of dehydration, so that evening on my way home, I called his pediatrician.  From him, I received the excellent advice not to give him beer to drink.... (I wish I were joking) and to try to scare him into drinking by telling him the hospital would poke him with big needles.  Sigh.  When I got home and saw how listless he was and couldn't get him to drink, I took him to urgent care at the hospital.  Just a virus, but he was slightly dehydrated. Not dehydrated enough to need an IV, thank God. So after about 3 hours of coaxing him to drink water, we were able to go home.

Thursday, Jeremiah was still miserable.  And surprise - Nathaniel had gotten worse again!  Both boys were still running near constant fevers.

Friday, I stayed home with the boys and took Nathaniel back to the doctor. We saw the same pediatrician we had seen Monday. He actually greeted us with "What now?"  Turns out Nathaniel now had an ear infection and a case of bronchitis. :(  I was glad I was able to stay home with them Friday. Leaving them as sick as they were had been torture the rest of the week.

Now it is Sunday.  Nathaniel has been fever free for about 16 hours now, and Jeremiah for about 6 hours.  Knock on wood.

I'm ready to have my happy, healthy boys back!

No comments:

Post a Comment