Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Christmas Favorites

What are some of my Christmas favorites?  There are so many that it is hard to choose.

Favorite Movies

Elf is definitely a favorite.  "Buddy the Elf, what's your favorite color?" The light-hearted, childlike approach to Christmas is always amusing.

More traditionally, I love White Christmas. Contrived plot maybe, but such a sweet story. And the musical numbers are great.

I also love Home Alone and Home Alone 2: Lost in New York.  I went about 10 years without watching them, but have now started watching them every Christmas again.

The cartoon version of How the Grinch Stole Christmas is also a favorite - not the creepy Jim Carrey one. You can keep that one.  The good one is the animated one!

A Charlie Brown Christmas always excites me - I love how it brings out the true meaning of Christmas.

Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer is a tradition. I loved watching it as a child, and I try to catch it when it's on tv now.

Favorite Songs

Christmas music is my favorite! I listen to it often (sometimes during the summer.... Christmas in June? July? And August?). Anyway....

All time favorite song is "Oh Holy Night."  The best version is Josh Groban's version. If you don't believe me, you should check it out.  The language and imagery of this song is just over the top spectacular.

Another old time favorite I love is The First Noel. Verse six is probably my favorite:
"Then let us all with one accord
Sing praises to our heavenly Lord,
That hath made heaven and earth of naught,
And with his blood mankind has bought."
That right there? That's what Christmas is about to me.

"All I Want for Christmas Is You" is a more modern, lighter favorite.

"I'll be Home for Christmas" is a sentimental favorite. It makes me think back to past holiday seasons - Christmases spent at my grandparents' old farm house in Indiana complete with all the family we could contain under one roof, playing games with cousins, opening gifts, eating all my grandma's delicious desserts, and so much more.  My mom is one of ten, so there was always a lot of family around!

"White Christmas" is enough to make even my snow-hating self think snow is a beautiful thing. Momentarily. Then the song ends and I come to my senses.

I could keep going, but those are some of my top choices.

Favorite Decorations:

There's the main event - the Christmas tree! I love our hodgepodge, sentimentally decorated tree.  

I also love the Nativity scenes. 

Christmas lights.  Not too far from us, we have this scene each year. I love walking around, drinking a peppermint mocha, and enjoying the scene.


Wrapped gifts are also pretty and make nice decorations.

(Worst decoration is - hands down - those lawn inflatables. I dislike those things!)

Christmas Treats

I love peppermint mochas. There are no longer Caribou Coffees around us (insert sad face here....), but they used to have a spicy dark chocolate mocha that was incredible! I don't know if they still do.  Starbucks also makes a good one.

There are hard candies called Gloria Mix sold at Christmas that is really good.

Fudge is always delicious. Chocolate covered cherries are good.  

There is so much to enjoy at Christmas from the decorations to the treats! What are some of your favorites?


2 comments:

  1. I love Elf so much! Definitely one of my favorite Christmas movies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sound just like Mariah on "All I Want For Christmas Is You". In my car. Alone. Screaming. Nothing like he, actually, but I can dream. Great list!

    ReplyDelete