Wednesday, December 31, 2014

A Look Back - Singapore the Beautiful

Continuing our look back to our Singapore trip, Saturday and Sunday would conclude the trip, but it would be quite the whirlwind! We had a lot to pack into our last two days. And, of course, we wanted to soak up as much time with our niece and nephews as possible. But at the same time, not overdo it as I was not feeling so great (first trimester yuckiness).

On Saturday, John and I went out alone to go to Orchard for some shopping and to the Botanical Gardens. I really think the Botanical Gardens are the most beautiful place I've ever been.  The flowers and greenery there are just amazing. It also has a large open space -  a rarity in Singapore. It's a beautiful park and then the Orchid Garden attached.  I took a ton of pictures. It was my second time there, and I was just as blown away as the first time. John greatly enjoyed it as well.

We couldn't spend as much time there as we would have liked as we had Evan's birthday party that night!  Our sweet nephew was turning 5 with a McDonald's party.  He really likes the movie Frozen, so as you can see, the cake was Olaf!
Games during the part. Jeremiah didn't participate. ;)
It was Jeremiah's first time getting a Happy Meal. He really enjoyed it. It was great seeing the boys enjoying themselves with their friends!
Cousins
The next day, we had two church services at the church where my brother is part of the pastoral staff. In the second service, Anna was being dedicated to the Lord.  A dedication is the parent's affirmation to raise the child for the Lord, and an acknowledgment that the child belongs to the Lord. Ultimately, God gives us our children to raise, but they are still His children. It was a sweet ceremony for our very sweet little Anna.  
Anna was born with a cleft palate and would need to have surgery to correct it during her first year of life. This was very hard on her family, especially her parents.  We prayed multiple times for a divine healing so she wouldn't need the surgery, but that ultimately didn't happen. I'm happy to say that the surgery (in October) was a success and Anna did well. I think knowing what she would face made her dedication extra sweet- recognizing that Anna Joy was God's daughter and He would take care of her gave me peace.  
Also, as we posed for family pictures, we posed in front of a rainbow. A rainbow signifies God's promise.  God has promises for Anna and He is faithful and true to those promises!

Silly family picture

With our niece

The beautiful girl


 That night, it was a very bittersweet time. I cried -  a lot.  I didn't want to leave. I wanted more time there.  I miss my Singapore family very much! I miss seeing my niece and nephews grow up.  But I'm happy knowing they are where they are supposed to be.

I'm not going to write about the flight home because I would prefer not to relive it.  Let's just say 23 hours, 1 toddler, and 2 adults is not fun.  Not even a little. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment