Friday, September 12, 2014

Nathaniel's Story - Part III

Where we left off...

So Thursday morning came and so did Jeremiah!  I had missed him.  We took pictures because I had the feeling I was having a baby that day.


At some point, the doctor came in.  Turns out the oncall doctor from my practice was the same one who delivered Jeremiah!  I was glad to see that as I liked him better than some of the doctors, and clearly he knew how to do a C-section properly. :)  He had my most recent lab results. They had gotten slightly worse from the day before.  He was pretty sure I was going to have the baby after seeing the perinatologist, so he went ahead and restricted my food. Thanks, doc. ;) When my husband left, I gave him instructions to bring snacks back so I could have them after surgery since the food services would probably be closed if we did deliver that day.  My mom told me to stop being so pessimistic, and I was like "Really? The one making the call is the one who wanted to deliver last Thursday. Since then, every number has gotten worse. I doubt he's changed his mind!" 

We also had another biophysical profile done.  The perinatologist would want the most recent scans of the baby before making his decision.

Sure enough, after about 5 minutes with the perinatologist, he recommended delivery (again). The doctor came in and we discussed that I wasn't a candidate for a VBAC (I already knew this) and some questions. He said that he would estimate Nathaniel only had about a 10% chance of needing to be separated from me for special care (HA!).  I was relieved since I had missed those early moments with Jeremiah.  Surgery was scheduled for 7:00.  I said to my nurse "That's when shifts change, right?  So will we really do it then?" She laughed and said "You're right. It will be 7:30 at least." The anesthesiologist ended up with a conflict which led to it then being moved til 8.  

John and I decided it was time to settle on a name for our son.  We decided on Nathaniel Charles.  Other contenders still in the running were Charles Nathaniel, Nathaniel Brian, and Charles Brian.

Time passed slowly despite all the prep.  Finally it was time. Into the surgery room we went.  One thing I remember is seeing the words "Wrong Patient Surgery" on one of the nurse's badges. So, being me, of course I had to ask about it.  I said "So, wrong patient surgery? Is that some kind of award you received?"  She had no idea what I was talking about.  So I showed her on her badge. Apparently, the hospital has some kind of program to ensure they don't do surgery on the wrong patient. So we had a little laugh once she showed me the full badge and not just the line I saw.

Surgery went as planned.  I hated every minute of it. The tugging, pulling, the sounds, the smells of the operating room - all of it.  And then it happened - my baby was born! He was immediately taken to be checked out by the neonatologist.  I knew after a few minutes that things were not as good as we had hoped. Instead of John bringing him over the way he did with Jeremiah, the neonatologist did - while the nurse held oxygen to his face the whole time.  Once they rushed him away, we took a minute to pray for him while surgery continued. This time, I was awake for the whole thing. Blah.  I remember chatting with the doctor some; we discussed the name and why we chose it, etc.

Here is my sweet boy, born July 24, 2014 at 8:28 p.m.











No comments:

Post a Comment