Monday, September 9, 2013

Blogtember: Personality Type

For today's Blogtember post, we're talking personality types.  There are lots of different tests to determine different ways of expressing your personality.  The one we're doing for Blogtember is here. I've used this at work before; it's the Jung Typology test.

My personality is INFJ.  What does the random string of letters mean?

It means I'm slightly more introverted that extroverted.

It means I prefer intuition over sensing.

I value feeling over thinking.

I strongly prefer judging over perceiving.

What does this mean? According to the report,

Beneath the quiet exterior, INFJs hold deep convictions about the weightier matters of life. Those who are activists -- INFJs gravitate toward such a role -- are there for the cause, not for personal glory or political power.

This seems fairly accurate.  From the things I think about to the causes I support, my convictions run very deep.

INFJs are champions of the oppressed and downtrodden. They often are found in the wake of an emergency, rescuing those who are in acute distress. INFJs may fantasize about getting revenge on those who victimize the defenseless

Again, true.  Especially the bolded. When I think about those involved in human trafficking in particular, I deeply want revenge. Then I realize that it is not my place to bring revenge on others. The Bible tells us that vengeance belongs to God. But when people victimize children in particular, there is a large part of me that wants them to pay for their crimes.  I'm working on it.

This next part probably sticks out to me the most and summarizes my relationships with so many people so perfectly!

INFJs are deeply concerned about their relations with individuals as well as the state of humanity at large. They are, in fact, sometimes mistaken for extroverts because they appear so outgoing and are so genuinely interested in people -- a product of the Feeling function they most readily show to the world. On the contrary, INFJs are true introverts, who can only be emotionally intimate and fulfilled with a chosen few from among their long-term friends, family, or obvious "soul mates." While instinctively courting the personal and organizational demands continually made upon them by others, at intervals INFJs will suddenly withdraw into themselves, sometimes shutting out even their intimates. This apparent paradox is a necessary escape valve for them, providing both time to rebuild their depleted resources and a filter to prevent the emotional overload to which they are so susceptible as inherent "givers."

Personality tests are something I find very interesting in general.  I'd love to discuss it if you've taken this or a different personality test!

2 comments:

  1. Hmm...that is quite interesting. I might go take a peek out of curiosity! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very interesting. David and I both took the little quiz, as he found it interesting too. I am fairly accurately ISFJ, and he is fairly accurately INTJ. =) Thanks for the fun.

      Delete