Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Hospital Recap - Day 1

When we left off, I had met my sweet baby around 4 a.m. Saturday morning.  My parents had said to call when Jeremiah was born and they might come up and meet him then.  John called, but they did not answer or call back (we would later find out that he accidentally called their house instead of my dad's cell. Since they were staying at our house, that clearly didn't work!).  I also tried once I was in the room, but they slept through my call. I woke up around 6:45 (you would think after being awake for about 42 hours with almost no sleep and having had major surgery, I would sleep more than 2.5 hours, but you would be wrong) and "patiently" waited until 7 to call them again.  I called and they answered. I told them in summary what had happened and they said they would head up really soon.  Around 7:15 or so, I also met my new nurse, Melissa, and she said to let her know whenever we wanted to go see the baby. She would have to help since I was still hooked to an iv and a catheter, and I wasn't allowed to walk at all.

Around 8, my parents arrived and we headed down to Special Care.  Oh my word. I hadn't expected sitting up to be so painful.  I only lasted about 5 minutes down there, and then I headed back to the room while John and my parents admired the baby some more.  I got a brief update from the nurse on how he was doing.  I was able to take in a lot more of his handsome face this visit. It was also a little scary all the tubes and wires he was connected to. :(

My parents really enjoyed seeing him, but at that point, none of us had gotten to hold him. We'd later learn that they only allow the parents to hold them in the Special Care unit anyway.

Daddy and Son

Grandma gets to see her newest baby for the first time

Grandparents (Strange lighting in the unit caused by the heat lamps)
When they got back to the room, they were about to leave to go to eat breakfast. All of them.  Right then, my food arrived too. I couldn't sit up to eat it!  I needed help! So they delayed their breakfast long enough for my mom to feed me. (I'm such an adult, right? I needed my mommy to feed me!)  The food service lady was from our church, so it was nice to talk to her when I ordered.

Big Boy
After they ate breakfast, John went home to shower and stuff. Then he came home. While they were gone, I slept about 2 hours. I still wasn't getting much sleep! I think that got me up to 5 hours of sleep since Thursday morning at 2 a.m.  It was now Saturday at around noon. I don't know why I couldn't sleep!

That afternoon, my aunt came to visit. She was in town to throw the shower.... oops. We chatted and then went to see Jeremiah.

Something wonderful happened.......

I got to hold him!!!!

Yay!!!!! He was about 13 hours old at that point, but it had been a long 13 hours for me. I wanted to hold my baby. I'd barely even been able to touch him.  (Please keep in mind that I had not yet been allowed out of bed except to see him and as a result had not been able to shower. So..... 31 hours of labor, surgery, and then 13 hours of recovery had happened before these pictures.)


My sweet little man




 It was such a wonderful feeling. Yes, I had to be careful of all the tubes and wires, but it was still so great to hold the baby I had held in my belly and in my heart for so many months in my arms. To kiss his sweet face for the first time.   It wasn't easy - my surgery had had a few complications and sitting up 12 hours later was still a challenge, but it was wonderful.
 While I was in there, it was time to feed him so they let me give him a bottle.  Yay! Not how I had planned on feeding my son, but it was still nice to do that for him.

After about 20 minutes, I had reached my limit for being up. I was taken quickly back to the room as I felt I was about to pass out.  To the point where my friend from church was behind in the hallway (the one who worked at the hospital) talking to me and I didn't realize she was talking to me. So I got back into bed and rested.  They also brought a special pump for mothers of preemies to use so I could work on getting some nourishment for Jeremiah.


Later that evening when John was back, we went down and saw our son again.  We have our first family picture..... and it's not a good one! But it's still very special to me. 




Holding his son for the first time!
It was late at night by that point. We had to wait for the nurses to finish a meeting so Karen (our same nurse from the night before) could take us.  After that, I went back to the room, took some Motrin, and we both got some sleep.

January 12, 2013 - a day I will never forget!

1 comment:

  1. Awe...you really went through a lot of things I wouldn't want to have to think about...we're so happy that there's a healthy Mama and baby. I can totally imagine it was a wonderful day for you all! Even with those things you could've done without.

    Have a wonderful Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete