Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Making Friends with the Hospital Staff.... the Hard Way

I'm on a mission. A mission to make the staff at my hospital like me. I figure it will get me preferential treatment when I deliver. Right? Right?

Okay, maybe that's not exactly true. Maybe I just.... have a talent for ending up in the hospital?  Crazy to think that from birth to age 32, I had 1 trip to the ER and that was after a car accident when the EMTs decided I should go because I couldn't answer simple questions - who is the president (I was blocking it out! February 2009?) , what day is it, etc.

But now.... twice in the last 5 weeks, I have spent at least part of my weekend in the hospital. The ER to be exact.

As I may have mentioned once or twice on this blog, at times I am not the most graceful, poised person I like to think I am. In fact, sometimes I'm downright clumsy. This has been made known through tripping over my own feet.... running into multiple walls.... spilling coffee on myself..... the list could go on and on.

Where was I? Oh yes. This weekend's moment of glory.  It was Saturday afternoon.  After a very lazy morning/early afternoon spent recovering from the week, it was finally time to be productive. I showered and was in the process of getting ready when KERSPLAT!!!! Done in by the slight amount of water on the bathroom floor.

At first, I laid there and cried for a minute. Then I assessed the damage - sore wrist, sore back, sore knees. At least I didn't think I'd done anything that could hurt the baby.  I eventually made my way to the couch where Leo and Leia cuddled with me to make me feel better. I texted John to tell him I wasn't going to be productive after all.  He thought I should go to the hospital but I disagreed.  So we decided to wait and see.

A couple of hours later, I got to church. By that time, a lot of the shock and adrenaline was starting to fade and I was hurting badly.  I told a friend, and she told me to talk to a lady from the church who is an OB nurse practitioner. She said as long as I wasn't having any of three symptoms, everything should be fine.  I was glad.

About an hour later, I started having 2 out of the 3 symptoms! I was slightly (read, very) freaked out!  I knew I needed to go to the ER, but my John was at work for another 2 hours, my parents were an hour away, so I did the only sensible thing. Drive myself as an able bodied adult? No, of course not. I asked my friend Dyanna to drive me. :) I asked her to come to the hallway, and I said "I know it's a lot to ask and service is still going on but I need to go to the hospital and...." at which point she interrupted with "I'm getting my keys."  She stayed with me until John got there around 10:30.

Long story short, they did an ultrasound. The baby appears fine. I'm on modified bed rest until I see my doctor on Wednesday.  I'm sore, I'm achy, and I would love to be able to take something stronger than 1 tylenol.  But the important thing is that I take care of the baby.  :)

Here's to hoping my next hospital trip is just for either my birthing class or birthplace tour!

1 comment:

  1. Oh MY!!! You poor thing, nothing worse than a fall...and somehow now that we're a bit older, they hurt a lot more...and then to be worried about your treasure on top of it! I hope that your bed rest helps and am praying that you will progress through the remainder of your pregnancy without incident!

    Love you and God bless your week!

    ReplyDelete