Friday, August 3, 2012

5QF - August 3, 2012


Linking up for Five Question Friday with Mama!

1. What is a must in a hotel room?
Clean everything..... No, really. I once stayed in a hotel that had a dirty bathroom when I got there. Yuck! Also, aside from that, a comfy bed with nice pillows.  And please, full size towels, not tiny threadbare ones.

2. Which Olympic event would you be best at? 
Let's see....

Not gymnastics - I can barely somersault.
Not swimming - dog paddling would be embarrassing.
Diving? Nope.
Archery? Ha.... I usually miss the whole target.
Running? Yeah right.
Maybe rhythmic gymnastics. I can wave a ribbon around.  

3. What's your stance on the Chick-fil-A subject?
Mixed feelings on this.  First of all, people boycotting Chick-Fil-A, do you research the beliefs of every CEO of every store and restaurant you patronize?  Doubtful.  And Chick-Fil-A does not practice discrimination.  It's not like they're out there saying they won't hire or serve homosexuals.


Aside from that, I think the mayors of Chicago and Boston really overstepped their bounds by saying they would try to block the company from opening in their cities. Denying permits because you don't like what a company believes? That's not even really legal. What's next?  If a Christian mayor said he wasn't going to let a Muslim organization open any businesses, would that suddenly be okay? Is this the precedent we're willing to set and allow?


That being said, I don't think anything was really accomplished yesterday of significance. For several reasons. To me, it was another form of "slacktivism" (slacker-activism, if you're unfamiliar with the term). You want to make a difference?  I don't think buying a chicken sandwich and waffle fries is the way to make a difference. You want to show Christ's love to others?  Again, I don't think fast food is the way to do it.  It may make you feel like you're making a difference and standing up for something, but at the end of the day, you're just eating fast food.  That time could be better spent in so many other ways.  If you want to take a stand, reach out to those in need. Share God's love with others. Do something that requires more effort than going through a drive-through and getting a milkshake.

4. One thing you said you'd never do as a parent, but totally have.
So far, nothing. :)

5. What's the weirdest thing you've ever found at a yard sale?
I've seen some hideous decorations over the years.  And I'm always curious as to who would buy used underwear out of someone's garage.... I don't think I've ever bought anything weird at a garage sale - toys, books, and movies are my usuals. :)

3 comments:

  1. LOL on the underwear, that's just gross!

    And while I'm not really 'informed' on the chick fil a thing, I do agree with what you've written. I also think that he was just stating his belief's...which is okay for everyone else, except Christians!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dirty bathrooms would gross me out too. Right on for #3! Our country would to so much better off if people put their time and energy into really doing things to make a difference - like volunteer their time and energy. Whether or not they eat a fried chicken sandwich twice a month really isn't going to matter to anyone...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! Thanks for the follow!
    OMG dirty bathrooms are the worst--my least favorite thing (other than a dirty toilet) is finding hair all over the place, especially the floor. It grosses me out.
    LOVE your take on the Chik-fil-A thing. It's just gotten so out of hand. UGH.
    Your Olympic event made me smile. I don't know if I could even do that, haha.
    You seriously found old underwear at a yard sale?????? Woooooow. Do people really think that will sell???

    ReplyDelete