Sunday, July 22, 2012

My First Hospital Visit!

Friday was a very dramatic day here in our house.

Ever since I've been pregnant, I've had a lot of nausea with some vomiting.  Thursday, it all took a turn for the worse.  From lunch time on, I couldn't keep any food down except popsicles.  I thought maybe my lunch time meal was a little spicy, but then it didn't pass. It kept getting worse.

Friday, I woke up hoping for a better day.  It didn't work. I couldn't keep down anything.  While at work, I vomited 3 times, one of those was from drinking water.  Around 1:00, I decided to call my doctor. I thought they'd either tell me a) it'll pass. Just keep trying to drink fluids, etc. or b) you need a prescription for Zofran or something.  Instead they told me option C that I hadn't considered "Go straight to the hospital and tell them you're pregnant and your OB sent you for probable dehydration."

So I left work, called my husband, and told him I was going to the hospital.  He called his boss and his boss said he could either come in late or not at all depending how things went as long as he had a doctor's note that I was at the hospital. So instead of the hospital, I went home so he could drive me there.

Once I got to the hospital, I went to the ER as they had told me. It was the first time (other than once as a young child) that I was there other than the time I was brought by ambulance. So I didn't really know what to do.  But I told the guy at the front why I was there, and then they kind of walked me through it.

Five hours, 2 ivs, a shot of Zofran, blood work, keeping down jello, and a urine test later, I was given the option of going home or staying the night. I chose to go home.  I was feeling enough better and figured I was rehydrated. I really didn't feel like staying the night.

On the positive side, we had excellent care which made me feel good since this is the hospital we'll be delivering at.

Plan for the weekend is to eat bland foods, drink lots of fluids, and rest. :)

1 comment:

  1. Wow...that's quite an adventure! I'm glad you're okay now and that your hubby was able to be there with you. I'll praying for you to make it through this trimester and enjoy a relaxing 2nd one. =)

    ReplyDelete