Saturday, June 16, 2012

Rachel and Sarah - Guestbook and Program Attendants


Sarah on left, Rachel on right

I thought today would be an appropriate day for this post as (sniff!) Rachel's high school graduation party is today! I don't believe how old my "nieces are getting!  "Nieces" is in quotes as we are not technically related, but they are my nieces.

I met Sarah, Rachel, and their wonderful parents in August 2002.  Sarah was one of my very first first grade students.  Rachel was in third grade at the time.  I quickly fell in love with the sweet Sarah.  She was such a timid, quiet student at that time, but so sweet.  She would bring me "flowers" (really weeds) from the playground, always listened, and worked so hard to do her best.
With our nieces

Over the course of the school year, I got to know the whole family better. Their parents were the parent coordinators for our class. I was invited to their home several times.  Rachel would come get Sarah at the end of most days.  She was adorable in her little uniform as well, intelligent, well spoken for 3rd grade, and fiercely protective of her little sister.


After the school year was over, I saw them several times over the summer.  The next year would be my last year teaching, but when I was over there, they asked if I could be their aunt and they could call me "Aunt Deanna" instead of "Miss _______."  I said of course.

With Sarah. I stole her hat.

Over the next few years, I stayed overnight with them for a weekend a year, went to birthday parties, took them out occasionally, and just enjoyed being their aunt.  I also briefly taught them piano lessons, but then broken bones ended that part of our relationship.

Over the years, I've watched them grow up.  They have both become such mature, wonderful young ladies.  They've grown in confidence. They both love to help others.  They're truly impresssive. If you met their parents, you would understand why. They are phenomenal people - kind, giving, caring, etc.

My wedding shower
I knew for sure I wanted to have the girls in the wedding; they truly are family to me! They graciously agreed to be our guestbook and program attendant.  They looked so beautiful and did a great job!

We have a very special relationship and special bond, I am happy to say.  I look forward to watching Rachel begin college (she's going to my alma mater!) and throughout all the years.  Sarah has her last two years of high school left, and I can't wait to see where life takes her. Love these two girls!






With Sarah at Rachel's 16th birthday party




1 comment:

  1. Hello there! This is my first visit to your blog!
    We are a collection of volunteers and starting a new project in a
    community in the same niche. Your blog provided us beneficial information to
    work on. You have done a extraordinary job!

    Here is my weblog vigrx plus

    ReplyDelete