Saturday, June 9, 2012

Blog Challenge - Day 6

What is the hardest thing I've ever experienced?

This is a good question.  Actually, the thing I would list as the hardest is something I am not comfortable discussing on this blog. It involves other people, so I don't really want to spread other people's business around this blog. Or anywhere, really.

Actually, the same applies to the second hardest thing.  Yikes.  I wish I could tell these stories without giving identifiable details for whomever reads, but then the stories wouldn't make sense.

So we'll go with what I am estimating is number 3.  That would be losing my teaching job.

I loved teaching.  I loved the time with the students; I had built great relationships with other staff members.  It was close to home. It was connected to a church. I was able to coach in addition to teaching.

And then it was gone.

I understand enrollments dropping from 500 to 300 is really hard on a school. I understand that the younger grades were the most affected, so they didn't need a second 1st grade class. What I don't understand is why it was indicated to me in April that they weren't going by seniority and I would most likely keep my job only for them to change their mind mid-August and have seniority not only be the deciding factor, but the only factor. What I don't understand is why I wasn't told this May, June, July, etc. while other districts were hiring so I would have a chance to find another job.

What I don't understand, and might never understand, is how a Christian school was more political in many ways than a public school district.

What I don't understand is not only being let go but being scolded by the same person who fired me. Over something I didn't even do, to boot. The families that left because I wasn't working there anymore? Were upset that the general quality of the school was, in their eyes, already going down and that the school was keeping uncertified teachers, teachers with bad performance reviews, etc. instead of a popular teacher like me who's students were excelling far above grade level.

God is faithful. I never lacked. I was out of work for 1 week.  In this economy, that's not much. And I see God's hand leading me to where I am now.  In children's church just last week, I taught my kids the verse Romans 8:28 "For we know that all things work together for good for those who love God and are called according to His purpose."  I've seen it come true in my life so many times.

No comments:

Post a Comment