Thursday, May 10, 2012

Ceremony Part 2 - Vows, Rings, and More

If you wish to see/read Part 1, of the Ceremony, it can be found here.
After the parental blessing, our Pastor gave his opening remarks. We asked that he read Romans 12:9-10.  "Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in love." Honor one another above yourselves.


After that, we had the charge and intention.  Our pastor was great about letting us customize the ceremony. He said it had to include the vows, and other than that it was up to us.  So we got to choose all the wording, including for this part. This is what we chose.


Pastor to John:  John, do you take this woman to be your wife, to live together in the covenant of marriage? Do you promise to love her, comfort her, honor and keep her, in sickness and in health, for better and for worse--and forsaking all others, be faithful to her as long as you both shall live?”


John: “I do.


Pastor to Me: Deanna, do you take this man to be your husband, to live together in the covenant of marriage? Do you promise to love him, comfort him, honor and keep him, in sickness and in health, for better and for worse--and forsaking all others, be faithful to him as long as you both shall live?


Me: I do.

After that, my cousin Anita sang the song "When God Made You."  In addition to being a wonderful singer, Anita is a great cousin and friend.  I'm so glad my cousin David had the sense to marry her. :)  I was in their wedding and was very honored that she agreed to be part of mine.  I also really liked having that part of the family represented. My mom's twin sister couldn't be at the wedding (she lives in Africa).  I was glad to be able to have her daughter-in-law sing, her son a groomsman, and her granddaughter a flower girl.  I'm especially close with them as those cousins all lived with us at one time or another. :)


During the song, I noticed that John looked very nervous. So we chatted a little during the song. It helped, I think. :)


I love the lyrics of "When God Made You."  


It's always been a mystery to me
How two hearts can come together
And love can last forever
But now that I have found you, I believe
That a miracle has come
When God sends the perfect one
Now gone are all my questions about why
And I've never been so sure of anything in my life

Chorus:
I wonder what God was thinking
When He created you
I wonder if He knew everything I would need
Because He made all my dreams come true
When God made you
He must have been thinking about me



I promise that wherever you may go
Wherever life may lead you
With all my heart I'll be there too
From this moment on I want you to know
I'll let nothing come between us
And I will love the ones you love
Now gone are all my questions about why
And I have never been so sure of anything in my life


He made the sun
He made the moon
To harmonize in perfect tune
One can't move without the other
They just have to be together
And that is why I know it's true
You're for me and I'm for you
Cause my world just can't be right
Without you in my life


Our vows were a little long. But to us, they were very meaningful.


John’s Vows:

I, John, in faith, honesty, and love, take you, Deanna, to be my wedded wife and to share with you God’s plan for our lives together united in Christ.  I love you and I know this love is from God. For years I have dreamed of you and prayed for you. Today is like a dream come true as God has answered that prayer. I thank Him for the honor of pledging my life to you. With our future as bright as the promises of God and with the help of God, I will care for you, honor you, protect you, and lay my life down for you, my friend and my love, until death do us part. I will cherish our friendship and love you today, tomorrow, and forever.  I will laugh with you, cry with you, and love you faithfully throughout the best and the worst, the difficult and the easy. Whatever may come, I will always be there. I give you all that I have, myself and my love.
My Vows: I, Deanna, in faith, honesty, and love, take you, John, to be my wedded husband. I love you and know you love me. I pledge myself to you as a faithful and loving wife. I thank God for you, for your love, your caring, and your friendship. Through both the joys and the pressures of the present and the uncertainties of the future, I promise to love you without reservation, comfort you in times of distress, encourage you, laugh with you and cry with you, grow with you in mind and spirit, always be open and honest with you, and cherish you for as long as we both shall live. With deep joy, I pledge myself to you. As I have given you my hand to hold, I give you my life to keep.
After the vows, our friend Jessica (wife of groomsman Jason) did a reading for us. It was from First Corinthians. 
“I Corinthians 13:4-8 and 13 says “Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.  It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.  Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.  It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.   Love never fails.  And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.”




Next up was the ring exchange. We had a small snafu/ moment of nerves when John held out his right hand and I tried putting the ring on it.  When we realized it didn't fit, I realized what happened. Pastor made a joke about us thinking we were European.










Part 3 Coming up Soon

1 comment:

  1. Well, that's a flattering picture of me, LOL...I guess either the other ones were worse or you didn't get any. =) I was honored to be asked and was even more grateful not to be stuck singing the other song! =)

    Seriously, I thought your wedding was beautiful. How memorable that you could write your own vows. Love revisiting the day with you here.

    ReplyDelete