Thursday, January 12, 2012

Life & Death

Last night was a rough night.  I was starting class last night at my church's Bible school. (I took classes previously, but took last semester off.) While I was waiting for class, I pulled out my phone and was checking facebook.  I saw something that shocked me.

A friend from high school was dead.  Dead at 31.  Her children? Motherless.  Her family? Grieving.  I think the rest of us? Stunned.

It was probably 10 years or so since I had even talked to her.  Thinking about her last night, I was unsure of how many kids she had (2 or 3?), how old they were (the oldest must be about 9 or 10?), was she still married to her high school sweetheart (I don't think so?).  These questions have answers that are pretty straight forward.  The bigger questions do not.

Why?  Why is she dead at 31? All I know is what her sister put on facebook which is that she had been struggling with alcohol for some time.  But what does that really answer.

I firmly believe that each one of us is here for a purpose. We all have a destiny on earth that we are supposed to fulfill.  It saddens me to think of someone I at one point considered a friend dead with all of her unfulfilled destiny, hopes, and dreams dead also.

I'm not judging her and saying she didn't accomplish anything in her life - I don't know.  But I just don't, can't believe that her purpose was to die a young death as a result of an addiction.

Several months ago, one of the ladies who I had worked with, tried to help at the homeless shelter I volunteered at died of a drug overdose.  She also left behind two children.  It just seems like such a waste of promise, such a waste of a life.

So today, I'm sad.  And I'm praying for the family. But I'm also angry - angry at the drugs and alcohol that have taken the lives, purpose, and dreams of so many people in my generation.  Angry at the lies that it's cool to drink, it's a good way to relax, drugs are needed, etc. without acknowledging that addictions are deadly.

If you're reading, please pray for my friend's family.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry Deanna...it really is sad that people don't love themselves enough to see the damage that they're doing with these substances. Praying for your friend's family that God will open their eyes through this tragedy and draw them closer to Himself.

    ReplyDelete