Friday, December 23, 2011

Oh Holy Night

I've written before of my intense love for Christmas music. I have even written before about my love for O Holy Night. But I was singing it this week, and it just struck me again how beautiful some of the wording is. So I thought I'd share it below along with some thoughts. O holy night! The stars are brightly shining, It is the night of our dear Saviour's birth. I love picturing when I read the Christmas story what happened on the actual night Jesus was born. The shepherds, the innkeeper, Mary, the angels singing. Long lay the world in sin and error pining, 'Til He appear'd and the soul felt its worth. A thrill of hope the weary world rejoices, For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn. These words give me chills. When Jesus appears in your life or situation, you do realize your worth. You were worth Him coming to earth and dying for. This is amazing to me that the King of all Kings, the Lord of all Lords cared that much about me. The hope of all the world! Fall on your knees! O hears the angels' voices! O night divine, O night when Christ was born; O night divine, O night, O night Divine. Truly He taught us to love one another; His law is love and His gospel is peace. Chains shall His break for the slave is our brother; And in His name all oppression shall cease. This is one of the most moving parts to me. It's through Him that we know how to love others. It's through Him that true freedom is found. This part is so moving to me as I think about those caught in modern day slavery, particularly human trafficking. It's one of the things that is on my mind a lot, one of those things that I pray for constantly. To be taken from your family, or worse, sold by your family into a place where you feel no love, you feel no peace? I pray that in His name, their oppression does cease! II Corinthians 3:17 says that where the spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. I pray that those who are oppressed in any way find freedom! Sweet hymns of joy in grateful chorus raise us, Let all within us praise His holy name. Christ is the Lord! O praise His Name forever, His power and glory evermore proclaim. His power and glory evermore proclaim Amen. Merry Christmas.

2 comments:

  1. So beautiful to really think about the words of these carols! We were singing one last week and I was actually surprised by the words...of course I can't think of it now, what's new! Anyway, I was struck by a verse I was not familiar with and the impact of the words. I don't think we really meditate on them enough....but it is a good thing to do!

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE O Holy Night. I can't help but cry every Christmas Eve when we sing it in church - gorgeous!!!

    BTW - loved the idea for the white elephant!!!

    ReplyDelete