Wednesday, May 4, 2011

What I'm Loving Wednesday - So Much to Be Thankful For

What I'm loving Wednesday....


There are so many things to love this week. There has been so much going on, not just with me, but with the world in the past week. It makes you really grateful for all the blessings in life.

For example, last week about this time, John went to his grandma's house to check on it as a neighbor had called to report a tornado in their area that night. This is what he found.
That was what used to be his grandma's bedroom. Thankfully, she was out of town on a last minute trip for 3 days. Otherwise, she would have most likely been in that very bedroom when the tree came through. It's funny to see God's hand in things like unexpected trips to the beach.

Later that day, as I'm sure most of you have heard, devastating tornadoes swept through Alabama. Again, no friends/family of mine were killed or injured. Property, yes. But lives? No. It's still very unsettling to look at pictures from Tuscaloosa. Remembering the times I've riden down those very streets. Remembering what it looked like just about a month ago when I was there last. Here are some pictures from the downtown area taken by a friend the next morning.

In some ways, it still doesn't seem real. The pictures look like something out of a movie. But they're not - they're reality for the people of Tuscaloosa. Other areas were hit also. Pray for Alabama. My friend Lauren, who lives in Hamilton, wrote a blog entry about her thoughts on the storm as she lives next to a town that was completely destroyed and her mother's house suffered damage as well. If interested, you can read that here.


There are still something like 400 people missing in Tuscaloosa alone. Please keep the whole region in your prayers. God alone has a way of bringing good from tragedy. I keep thinking of the Chris Tomlin song "Our God." There is a line in there that says "Into the darkness You shine; out of our ashes we rise." Alabama is going through darkness (When power was still being restored, the town didn't even look like a town. It was so dark you couldn't see anything. Thankfully, power has been restored). There are ashes, there is rubble everywhere. But God can and will shine through it all, and the region will rise again.

Sunday brought more surprising news - the death of Osama Bin Laden. This turned into quite the facebook controversy. While I'm thankful for our soldiers and military, I am not celebrating his death. Celebrating the fact that he was brought to justice on this earth? Yes. Celebrating the fact that he, who was made in the image of God, is spending eternity separated from Him? No. People say "He made his choice" or "He did terrible things; he deserves it." I'm not saying he didn't make his choice. He did. I'm just saying, from my perspective, I can't celebrate the fact that he is in hell. It's a fine line. I have mixed feelings. (If you're reading this and disagree, that's fine. I'm not trying to upset anyone.)

So what am I loving today? I'm loving the safety of my loved ones. I'm loving our American military. I'm loving the many, many blessings we have.

Oh, and on a more shallow note, I'm loving the fact that today is May the Fourth, also known as Star Wars Day. May the Fourth be with you all. :)

4 comments:

  1. We do have so much to be thankful for!!! Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...so close to home, sorry about John's Grandma's house and thanking God she wasn't there. We do need to pray for our nation...so many disasters just recently.

    I agree with your thoughts on OBL. I wasn't online to follow it and just barely caught some info on the news. All I know is that God rules and reigns. He is in total control.

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! So glad she is okay. How scary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have friends in Tuscaloosa who thankfully were uninjured as well! He posted pictures on Facebook and there are just streets that are completed gone. Homes...business...everything. So sad.. my prayers are still with everyone! Glad his grandma wasn't home. God works in mysterious ways!!

    I agree about the Osama Bin Laden news. I didn't like people celebrating his death. Someone spending eternity away from God is so sad, and not to be celebrated. I felt that people having celebrations of his death were just as bad as "his people" celebrating after 9/11. We should be better than that.

    Have a great day my blogging twin!

    :)
    Rach

    ReplyDelete