Thursday, January 6, 2011

Thursday Thirteen - January 6, 2011

Okay, after my post last night and some conversation and some tears, I have come to a conclusion..... I should avoid people and any type of emotional conversation when I'm sick AND exhausted. That is all. Everything is fine. :)

And now, I just got back from the doctor and I have bronchitis and a sinus infection. So, I'm sufficiently drugged up.

For my Thursday Thirteen, I'm going to look back at 2010. (Might as well, since I am still writing 2010 on dates!) I'm going to list 13 great moments from last year. (I was going to do this last week, but I had zero blogging time. Literally, none.)

2010 was a crazy year. It involved promotion at work, changes at churches, 10 different states, 9 different out of town trips (I think), countless fun times with friends, organized 4 conferences/big events at church, exchanged about 2 million e-mails, new friends, old friends, etc. Not all of the times were good, but overall it was a good year. There were goodbyes that happened this year - some to people, some to things that I held dear. There was stress at work, stress at home, stress at church. There were health problems; there were healings. There was also a nice symetry to the year. I began the year at Winter Ramp 2009 and finished it at Winter Ramp 2010. Quite a lot happened in between! Here are 13 highlights:

1) My brother and family's trip home.
The month of June was marked by seeing my little munchkins that I have written so much about! For 4 weeks (starting Memorial Day weekend), my brother, sister-in-law, and 2 nephews visited from Singapore. For the first two weeks, my sister-in-law's sister came as well. It was a busy time and went quickly, but it was so great having them here!

2) Thinning of the Veil conference - October
This was a lot of work, the biggest conference I had coordinated. Not just one or two services, but 5 services. And a speaker who spoke at another church on one of those days. Food, transportation, book tables - a lot to think about. I definitely did not pull this off alone. It was major. It was a lot of work. It was exhausting. I wouldn't admit it at the time, but there were moments that I wondered if everything would go okay. I'm happy to say it went off seamlessly and was glorious. After that, I quit planning events. Always good to end on a high, right?

3) Idaho/Washington Trip - September
I've written about this before. But it was one of the highlights of my year, so humor me. :) I went out to the Pacific Coast for only the second time of my life (okay, technically, Singapore is on the Pacific Coast, but on the other side of it). I had a great time with Lisa, Hunter, Taylor, and Matt. While there, we celebrated Taylor's first birthday. I also enjoyed seeing the beautiful mountains! Though we had bad taste in movies that weekend (hehe) it was great to spend so much time with one of my best friends in the universe! (Lisa! Are you reading this? Because you've stopped commenting other than in person! So you better be appreciating this! I mean, I mean it, but some feedback would be nice.....)

4) Vegas was born!
My sweet little "niece" Vegas was born January 24th! I love her so much. She is truly a miracle and a blessing. She almost did not make it to her birth. The first time I held her, I fell so in love with this little girl. At her dedication, I cried and cried. And now as I watch her grow and see her sweet smile, I love her more and more every time I see her!

5) Trip to Hamilton - July
Really, every trip to the Ramp is so unique, so different, and so the same. I know that makes no sense, but it's how it is. Every trip is something new, something dynamic, but at the same time there's a familiarity.... like it's home or something. I went alone this time. It was a battle getting there. It was a battle once I got there. But it was phenomenal!

6) Gathering Small Group - September - December
This isn't one particular day, but this fall I was involved in a small group through the Gathering. The Gathering is a ministry that I am involved in at a local church. One of the ladies' small groups met at my house this fall. We studied the book Radical by David Platt. If you haven't read this book, you should. Like, go to Amazon right now, order the book, and read it! But in addition to what we learned through the book, I made some great friendships, strengthened some other ones, and grew together!

7) Radiant Worship Event - April
Okay, this event was almost as crazy as the Thinning of the Veil conference. And it was several months earlier. Housing for 7 band members? Check. Meals for 7 band members? Check. Set-up that left me with giant bruises? Check! And.... I did that set-up in a dress and heels, thank you very much!

8) Winter Ramp Chattanooga - December
Really, just refer back to my post from yesterday....

9) Indiana/Chicago Trip - December
One of the best Christmases I've had in several years - I had a great time with my family. We had good weather for travelling. It was great!

10) Ashley's Baby Shower
I wrote a little about this here, but it was a really great day. 100+ chocolate covered oreos later, a lot of planning, a lot of gifts later, we had a great day and it was a blessing to two dear friends!

11) Birthday Party for Me and Jessica - February
As mentioned here
, I had a joint birthday party with my friend Jessica this year. It was great to see so many friends come out to celebrate with us. We went to Don Pablos for dinner and then back to Jason's house (her fiance') for cake and further celebration.

12) Meeting Brayden
As mentioned in Number 10, my friend Ashley had a baby! He was born earlier than expected, but is doing great! When he was 6 days old, I was able to meet him. His sweet little face stole my heart. Well, not really..... he had stolen it before he was born. But seeing him really cemented it. My time with him was limited that day, but then the next time I saw him, I was able to hold and cuddle him for a very long time. He's so wonderfully sweet. I have to get better so I can go see him again!!!

13) Blogging
2010 is the year I really started blogging - writing and reading. I'd read a few before, even started my blog in 2009, but 2010 is the year that I "really" started. As in, more than the 4 entries for 2009! But through blogging, I've kept up on friends and family members lives. I've made new online friends. I've found new information. I've gotten to express myself. So blogging, as a whole, is a highlight of the year!

All these big events are great, but at the same time, I think it's the day to day stuff that really makes the year. Hanging out with friends.... making new friends.... loving those God has sent into your life.... weddings, baby showers, etc. The day to day walking through life with those you love..... that is what makes the year!

Here's to 2011!

No comments:

Post a Comment