Thursday, January 20, 2011

Thursday Thirteen - 1/20/2011

Hello! I am so tired today! Work has been non-stop all week, but especially today. I could really use a nap. In fact, I've already made and corrected 7 typos in this post. Oops, make it 9....

In all the craziness, I had trouble thinking of a good topic for this week's Thursday Thirteen. After much (okay, fine, a little) thought, I have decided to write about thirteen female book characters that I really like.

1) Elinor Dashwood - Sense and Sensibility
Out of all Jane Austen stories and characters, Elinor Dashwood from Sense and Sensibility is my favorite. She's very caring, responsible, and finds true love in the end. Ahhh....

2) Esther - The Bible
The brave queen who was willing to risk her life to save her people.... the one called into the kingdom "for such a time as this." Brave, loyal, and determined. Wise enough to come up with a plot to counteract Hamaan's plot.

3) Scarlett O'Hara - Gone with the Wind
Scarlett is not a character I admire. She's not kind. She's not nice. She's vicious and somewhat ruthless. But.... she's interesting!

4) Lena - Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series
I love the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series (books and movies). Of the 4 main characters, my favorite is Lena, the quiet artist. By the end of the 4th book, she has started coming out of her shell.

5) Carmen - Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series
My other favorite character - very different from Lena. The more outgoing of the two for sure, passionate about her family and friends, and very sentimental.

6) Becky Bloomwood - Confessions of a Shopoholic series
I haven't read this whole series, but I've read a couple of the books, and like with Scarlett O'Hara, I don't approve of her. :) She's very dishonest and irresponsible. But in the books..... she's funny. And generally good-hearted. She doesn't mean to cause all the drama that she does.

7) Ruth - The Bible
Another Biblical heroine.... her willingness to leave behind everything she knew and everyone she loved for one person who she loved that needed her without knowing where she was going or what she would do is inspiring.

8) Mary, Mother of Jesus - Bible
When Mary was alive, the common punishment for having a baby without being married was stoning. No one would believe her story. She would lose her fiance and probably her life. I'm sure she thought all these things. Yet, she answered the angel Gabriel with the words "Be it unto me according to your will." Brave. Faithful.

9) Rachel O'Malley - The O'Malley Series by Dee Henderson
I love the O'Malley series by Dee Henderson. They're all mystery stories. I like all 7 siblings in the series, but my favorite is Rachel. She is most prominently featured in The Healer.

10)Shelby - The Princess by Lori Wick
This is one of my favorite all-time books. In fact, it might be time for a re-read. Shelby is a kind, giving, selfless person.

11) Laura Ingalls Wilder
I don't know why I didn't list this on my last Thursday Thirteen as I read these books many times as a child! I always kind of wished I had lived in the 1800s (not anymore. I'm here on my laptop with my cell phone next to me. I'm very modern.). But when I was young..... I loved reading about Laura Ingalls and her adventures.


12) Kate Riggs - The Californian Series by Lori Wick
My favorite series by Lori Wick is The Californian series, and Kate is the oldest sister in the family. The first book, Whatever Tomorrow Brings, focuses on her story.

13) Marty Davis - Love Comes Softly series by Janette Oke
There are 7 or 8 books in the Love Comes Softly series about the Davis family. Marty is the matriarch and a great character.

1 comment:

  1. Ruth is one of my favorite books in the Bible (it's also my middle name!) ;)

    I also like the book of Esther.

    Great list!! Happy Thursday (almost Friday).

    :)
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete