Thursday, December 9, 2010

Thursday Thirteen - December 9, 2010

I have a lot to write about this week, but no time to write. So a more thorough update will be forthcoming. But since I love Christmas, I didn't want to miss an opportunity to do another Christmas-themed Thursday Thirteen! Especially since I missed 5 Question Friday last week which was Christmas questions!

Today, I am going to list 13 Christmas songs/carols that I love. I love more than this, but it's Thursday Thirteen, not Thursday Three Hundred. :)

1. Oh Holy Night - This is my favorite Christmas carol of all time. I love it. The imagery in the words, the reverential tone about the King of Kings coming to earth, and the haunting melody of it all set it apart. I especially love the Josh Groban version!

2. The Christmas Song - especially when sung by Nat King Cole. It just brings up all those Christmas memories. Okay, so I've never actually done the whole "Chestnuts roasting on an open fire" thing, but it still has that nostalgic feel.

3. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas -

4. The Chipmunks Song - Cheesy and silly, but it makes me laugh everytime! Alvin just wants a Hula Hoop!

5. The Grinch Song - This was one of my favorite Christmas cartoons growing up, so that probably factors into this choice, but it's another song that makes me smile.

6. Silent Night - I love this song about the night of Jesus' birth. And it has such a peaceful, calming tone to it.

However, one time, this song did not inspire calm, peaceful feelings in me. You see, when I was teaching first grade, my class learned this song in music. They get back to class, and we're having carpet time. (Going over the calendar, reading a story, etc.) One of my precious 6 year olds raises his hand and very calmly asks "Miss _________, what's a virgin?" Yes, he learned the word "virgin" by singing Silent Night in music and wanted to know what it meant.....

7. Joy to the World
This was always a favorite when we would go caroling at hospitals and nursing homes as we did practically every year. It's easy to sing and almost everyone knows the words. It's also fun to play on the piano.

8. I Want a Hippopotumas for Christmas
I love the way the young child has figured out all the logistics of the situation. From what the hippo eats to the hippo not going through the chimney. It's another silly song, but again.... it makes me smile. :)

9. The First Noel
Other than Jingle Bells, this was the first Christmas carol I learned to play on the piano. Aside from that, I like the words. But there are a lot of them! Two Christmases ago, we did this song for a children's choir. May have been a little ambitious on my part!

10. All I Want for Christmas Is You
Fun, cute song - it's very catchy as well.

11. What Child Is This?
This is another one that just has that old-style Christmasy feel to it.

12. O Come All Ye Faithful
Another caroling favorite!

13. I'll Be Home For Christmas
This one reminds me of the Christmases that I was surrounded by family. It makes me miss all my grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. a little more, but at the same time brings back pleasant memories!

No comments:

Post a Comment