Thursday, December 16, 2010

Thursday Thirteen - 12/16/2010

In keeping with my Christmas-y themes, my Thursday Thirteen this week is going to be 13 Christmas movies/shows that I love! This is in no particular order. There are some I don't like, even classics, so if you notice an absence of certain movies that you would expect to see, just know I'm not a big fan (cough.... It's A Wonderful Life.... cough)

1. White Christmas
The traditional favorite makes the list..... I love this movie! It's a musical! It's about Christmas! What more do I need?

2. Elf
A newer favorite. Seriously, this is one of the more quotable movies in the world. "I like smiling. Smiling's my favorite." "Buddy the Elf, what's your favorite color?" "You sit on a throne of lies!" "I thought maybe we could make ginger bread houses, and eat cookie dough, and go ice skating, and maybe even hold hands." "He's an angry elf!" "I'm sorry I ruined your lives, and crammed eleven cookies into the VCR."

Seriously, if you haven't seen this movie, you need to. Will Farrell is PERFECT in the role of Buddy!

3. While You Were Sleeping

This was one of the rare movies I saw in the theater when I was younger. It's one of those cute, feel good movies. A little creepy if you really think too hard about it, but what romantic comedy isn't? ;)

4. Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer

A classic. I remember every year growing up watching this. Herbie the little dentist, Rudolph's strange shining nose - etc. This is a holiday classic that always puts me back in time.

5. How the Grinch Stole Christmas (the cartoon!)
Okay, so I've seen the Jim Carrey version and it's okay. But as far as favorites go, it's the Dr. Suess cartoon version all the way! It's more about the story and less about the special effects.

6. Cheesy Lifetime/Hallmark Made for TV Movies
Lifetime movies in general? Love them. Cheesy Lifetime and Hallmark movies about Christmas? Love them more! Last year, I taped a bunch and watched them on Christmas Day. :)

7. Charlie Brown Christmas

Love the reminder of what Christmas is really about. There is chaos, there is noise, there is confusion, and then there is a child reading Luke 2. Love it.

8. Home Alone
My friends and I got together and watched this recently - first time in years that I had seen it! So funny and touching at the same time. I love the scene in the church where they're listening to Christmas carols by the children's choir.

9. Home Alone 2

I like this one, in parts, better than the first. I like the family stuff and the plot better. But I like the house scenes (where the robbers come) in the first one better. The second one everything is stepped up a couple of notches to the point where it's not suspending disbelief, but just over the top. However, I still love this.

10. The Holiday

Another great romantic comedy.

11. The Nativity Story

A live action story of the events of the Bible account of Christmas - yes, there is some creative license taken I'm sure, but overall a great movie!

12. A Christmas Carol (the Mickey Mouse version)

Love it! Another old time favorite! The Dickens' classic with Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck? Yes, please!

13. Holiday Inn
Much like White Christmas, we have music and holidays. Yay!

Any of you have any suggestions of a Christmas movie?

3 comments:

  1. Great minds think alike- this was my post today too!! I'll forgive you for not liking It's A Wonderful Life if you forgive me for not liking Elf (I can't stand Will Ferrell!) ;)

    :)
    Rach

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE White Christmas, but those who married into the family hate it with a passion :0( So, I don't get to watch it.....
    FAVORITE movie- WHILE YOU WERE SLEEPING

    Good choices..Trust you have a Very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen Elf...too bad they don't have it at Redbox for a buck, I'd be tempted to see what it's all about!

    As to a favorite silly movie I would have to go with "Jingle all the Way!" Honestly, Sinbad is just a riot in that movie! Favorite line, "It's a sick world we're living in! It's a sick, SICK world!"

    Thanks for the list. =)

    ReplyDelete