Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Thankful - Day 5

Seriously? Thanksgiving is next week? Already? How did this happen? Oh my goodness!!!!

Okay, now back to being thankful.....

I am very thankful for computers. Seriously. Yes, they can be a time waster, but I love them. I love social networking - facebook, blogs, etc. I love talking over Skype with family that is overseas.

I remember way back in the 80s when my aunt, uncle, and children first moved to Botswana. It would take roughly 3 weeks to get a letter there and 3 weeks to get a letter back. Calling was also dreadfully expensive. So we didn't have the greatest of contacts.

But now, my aunt, uncle, and one cousin are in Malawi - an even more remote area, and we can hear from them almost every day via facebook and e-mail. We can call over Skype, or buy cheap calling plans online.

And let's mention pictures. I don't know what I would do without seeing the pictures of my sweet Caleb and Evan online so often. I would probably buy impulsive plane tickets to Singapore, and that would get quite expensive! Okay, I wouldn't really do this, but it would be even harder to resist! Computers make it so much easier to see pictures than the days when you would have to have film, develop a picture, and mail it.

So, someone please remind me of this post next time my computer is frustrating me and I want to throw it out the window.

Or don't, since I only communicate with most of you via the computer. And if I'm trying to throw it out the window, I probably won't be reading your comments.

4 comments:

  1. Computers can be bad, but so can anything good if you abuse it. When my friend was battling leukemia he and his wife were in one place and their children were someone else. Thanks to skype they were able to see and talk to their kids everyday. That is such blessing because that was the only contact he had with his children the last 2 months of his life. So its a great thing to be thankful for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely thankful for computers...especially since the money I paid to mail two packages to Africa last month seems to have been spent in vain...I sure hope it's the thought that counts, cause I'm not resending! =)

    I definitely like seeing blogs too...I'm thankful for the creativity of others and it's availability for me to see! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I SO love Skype!! My nephew lives in Finland and it's so wonderful to be able to talk to him and see him at the same time. I wish they had Skype when my parents were missionaries back in the 90s.

    I also love blogs, Facebook and Twitter (maybe a little too much!) :)

    Have a great day!!

    :)
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  4. I needed to read this! My computer has been giving me so much trouble lately and actually hasn't worked in like 3 weeks. I am having to use the hubs when he gets home from work. Still, such a blessing he has a work one and I have my phone. I have such awesome "online friends" :)

    ReplyDelete