Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Thankful - Day 10

I was just thinking.... I'm thankful for telephones. I was thinking about what I would write about right as I hung up from a long phone call. Telephones can provide a communication that you don't get online through writing. Of course, there are services like Skype where you can talk online, but a cell phone can go anywhere.

Thinking back to when I was younger and nobody really had cell phones (unless you were Zach Morris from Saved by the Bell in which case you had one the size of a briefcase!), I wonder how we ever got anywhere. I mean, how would I meet my friends places if we couldn't call when we got there to see where the other was? How did we know if someone was running late? And carrying change for pay phones seems positively barbaric!

My phone is pretty and pink. It also has the internet on it. And I can text quickly.

So I'm thankful for phones, but especially for cell phones. (Though I do cringe when I find out 7 year olds have them.... I understand safety, but really? How often are your 7 year olds alone so they need a phone? And why are they alone?)

Happy almost Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

  1. Me too! I can't believe only 8 years ago I didn't have a cell phone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thankful for phones, but I hate talking on the phone. =) I like to have my cell phone in case of an emergency...like the time I was stranded on the hill in the dark on the one way behind the broken plow truck with my two kids. There was no way I was attempting to back down on that snow covered incline. I called to the top of the hill and someone came to retrieve me and deal with the car. It was a blessing to have that phone!

    I don't text...no desire too. I figure I get enough typing done on my computer. =)

    ReplyDelete