Thursday, October 14, 2010

Thursday Thirteen - October 14, 2010

Another Thursday, another Thursday Thirteen!

Today, I'm going to list 13 of my favorite quotes. Some I think are funny, some serious, some motivational - all different reasons for liking them. (Disclaimer - if I know the source of the quote, I have listed it. Some I don't know the source, so I'll note that.)

1. "Character is more important than reputation; character is who you really are while reputation is who people think you are." Unknown
So true. What matters is not how other people see us, but who we really are. If we're fake and put on a great show for everyone else but to those closest to us or even in our own hearts we're mean, angry, bitter, etc., have we really reached any type of goal?

2. "Maturity is the consistent application of elementary things, not the occasional application of great things." Damon Thompson
You don't mature as person or show you're a mature person by occasionally doing something spectacular. You show it in consistently doing what you know to do, however small it is. This applies in personal life, work life, etc.

3. "Don't cry because it's over; smile because it happened." Unknown
Too often, we spend our lives looking back. We're sad because things ended - a vacation, time with a loved one, an exceptional time in our life. Rather than look back with sadness, I choose to be happy that I had the experience at all. Or, I try to anyway.

4. "When principles that run against your deepest convictions begin to win the day, then battle is your calling, and peace has become sin; you must, at the price of dearest peace, lay your convictions bare before friend and enemy, with all the fire of your fight." Abraham Kuyper

I think this one speaks for itself. Don't allow yourself to become complacent.

5. "If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." Unknown Comedian

A friend sent me a list of this guys quotes once, and they were all like this (ripoffs and funny versions of the things people say). But I don't remember his name, nor can I find it online.

6. "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away." Anonymous

I love this quote. Always makes me think of the movie Hitch though, as it's in there. :)

7. "I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country." Nathan Hale, Patriot

The reason for this quote being one of my favorites is apparently, he's related to me WAY back. But it's a direct relation - like he was the brother of my great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandfather or something? However many greats it takes to get back to the 1700s. This always made me feel cool in elementary school when we studied him.


8. "May the Force be with you." Master Yoda

Really, just about any Star Wars quote..... in fact, that might be a whole Thursday Thirteen list all to itself. :)

9. "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." Jim Elliot

Jim Elliot was a missionary who lost his life trying to minister to the Aucan people of Ecuador. He gave up his life, something that wasn't his to keep anyway, to gain an eternal crown that he'll never lose. Poignant quote.

10. "For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone." Audrey Hepburn

11. "There, but for the grace of God, go I." John Bradford
I think of this quote when I feel tempted to judge someone for their circumstances or look down on them or even think I have the answers. It's hit me particularly hard while working at the homeless pregnancy shelter. No, I never did drugs. No, I didn't end up homeless and pregnant. But that doesn't make me any better than any of them. Who knows how I would have ended up if I hadn't had the advantages I have had in life? What if my parents had abused me and I had been in 20 foster homes by the time I was 13? I can help them try to make right choices now and get their feet under them, but their past is their past. And I'm not their judge.

12. "There's nothing that can help you understand your beliefs more than trying to explain them to an inquisitive child." Frank A. Clark

Oh my goodness. So true. "How? Why? How come?" These hallmarks of questions with children on everything from why we don't eat with our hands to what clouds are made of punctuate my days working with children at school or church!

13. "True friendship is like sound health, the value of it is seldom known until it be lost." Charles Caleb Colton

True statement....

What are some of your favorite quotes?

1 comment: