Wednesday, September 15, 2010

A Year Ago Today.....

A year ago today, I started my new job.

My previous job had been going worse and worse - we were losing so much money, 2 people had already been laid off, changes were always discussed but never implemented, etc. In a small company, covering for 2 people who left is really hard - that was about 20% of the company gone! It was also a far drive - 23 miles each way. I would routinely leave my house at 6:30 a.m. and return at 6:30 p.m., sometimes later. Even worse was the feeling of not being able to trust some of my co-workers- I felt they would gladly throw me under the bus if they thought it would save their jobs or make things easier.

In addition to that, because of everything going on, it was so stressful. I didn't really feel appreciated or that any changes would ever be made. To make a long story short, I started looking around for a new job.

Well, I found one! Interestingly enough, it's at a firm that I had interviewed at the previous December. I was one of the finalists for that position, but they hired someone else (who now works with me). But they were expanding again, needed more help, remembered me when I applied (for the anonymous Monster posting), and TADA! I'm there!

It's so much better of a work environment for me. Is it stressful at times? Yes. But it's a different type of stress. Instead of bleeding money, we actually make money - radical thought, I know! My boss is great about listening and implementing new ideas. If I ask why something is how it is, I've yet to hear the phrase "Because that's just how we do it." And..... it's a mere 7 miles from home!!!!

Working there the past year has been challenging, enjoyable, busy, productive, and overall wonderful. It's such a blessing to have a job I like (most of the time, hehe) and with people I don't dread being around. I recently received a promotion, and can easily see myself working there for years to come!!!

2 comments: