Thursday, September 2, 2010

Thursday Thirteen - Books!

Thursday Thirteen as found on Randomness with Rachel!

13 Books I love and have read multiple times:

1. The Bible. The first time I read through it, I think it took me about 3 years. :) In my defense, I think I was 7 when I started, and it was the King James Version. There are a lot of hard words in that for a little kid. And a lot of begetting.... I lost interest in much of Chronicles. :) Further readings have gone much easier.

2. Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants - I've read the whole series more than once I think. Maybe not the 3rd one.... I own 1 and 4. This is one of the rare books where I think the movie is better than the book. But I like both. And the books are better than the 2nd movie, in my opinion.

3. The Princess by Lori Wick. This was the first Lori Wick book I ever read, and I fell in love with her writing! Lately, not so much, but her books for a time were my favorites!

4. Gone with the Wind. Like the Bible, I think I was overly ambitious the first time I read it. I was 11, I think. It took a very long time. Like I've mentioned before, once I start a book I almost always feel the need to finish it, despite the fact that I am struggling through it.

5. The WHOLE O'Malley Series by Dee Henderson. I think I've read them all 5 times each. The suspense is good in all of them, and I like the characters and how they interact. The premise is 7 adults who met in an orphanage but legally change their names when they turn 18 to form a family. They all have interesting jobs such as hostage negotiator, U.S. Marshall, etc. Each book has a mystery.

6. Love Comes Softly and sequels. Before I was a Lori Wick fan, I was a Janette Oke fan. This series, along with the Canadian West series, was my favorite. Now they have made movies out of them, mostly seen only on tv. The first one (maybe 2?) star Katherine Heigl before she really became all that famous. But the books are better. Look them up. :)

7. Pride and Prejudice. I love Jane Austen books and movies. I had never read any of the books, but had to read this one for my college English class. I loved it and have read it multiple times.

8. Dealing with the Rejection and Praise of Man by Bob Sorge. This is an EXCELLENT book. It talks about how we need to find our identity in Christ. We shouldn't worry when people reject us, but we also shouldn't put our stock in their praise of us.

9. The Comforter by Dr. Brian Bailey. I read this book for pleasure/learning, but then I ended up taking a class where I had to read it a second time. Not a problem as it was a great book.

10. Most of the Babysitters' Club books - the first 100 or so anyway. They were my favorite books when I was a preteen/young teenager.

11. Most of the original Nancy Drew mysteries/Nancy Drew case files. Always loved a good mystery! The old ones were the best, but the case files were good too.

12. Series 7 Manual. It took multiple readings to learn the info well enough to pass the 7 1/2 hour test!!!!! Muni bonds, options, and regulations - oh my! But I survived. :)

13. Never Again Goodbye by Terri Blackstock. Actually, most of Terri Blackstocks books. But especially this one. Not a mystery like a lot of hers, but a great story over all.

No comments:

Post a Comment