Friday, August 13, 2010

5 Question Friday - August 13, 2010

Mama has brought us 5 Question Friday once again! And I submitted one of the questions, so I'm extra happy to do them this week. :) Hehe.

1. Have you ever visited another country?
Oh my yes. First off, living 30 minutes from the border, I've been to Canada MANY times. We even drive through Canada to visit relatives in New York as it's faster than driving through the states. So, that's not all that exciting. Other than that, when I was 8, we went on a trip to Africa. On the way there, we had a day long layover in Belguim. While in Africa, we went to South Africa, Botswana, and Bophutaswana. I posted a story from the trip here, if you're interested.
Then, in 2004, I went on a trip to Europe. We only got as far as Heathrow in England, but got to spend a few hours in the airport. That doesn't count so much, but as far as the travelling part, we went to Germany, Switzerland, and France. There were 43 of us, I believe. It was a fantastic trip. From the castles of Germany to the Eiffel Tower to endless card games on the bus, I would love to relive that trip! Or go again.
And then, due to my wonderful brother living all over Asia, I've been to Singapore 3 times - for his wedding to my beautiful sister-in-law, 2 weeks after Caleb was born, and about 6 weeks after Evan was born. Going again next year! All those trips included stops in Japan both ways, but never left the airport. So I can't tell you much about the lovely country of Japan other than the food in their gift shops is weird. And I have some yen at home from buying stuff there. :)

2. Where is the strangest place you have ever been?
Hehe.... okay, nobody get offended if you're reading this, but I have to say Hamilton, Alabama. Yes, the one I wrote about in this post. It's just so small. They don't have restaurants. They don't have Starbucks, Caribou, or Panera. When you ask someone "Well, where do you get coffee around here?" they direct you to a gas station!!! I mean, really?

I guess it's not that different than where I visit some of my mom's family as far as size, so maybe it's just that I wasn't expecting it the first time I went there where I grew up visiting Wheatfield, Indiana.

But let's just say, I love visiting Hamilton because of my friends and the Ramp, but I prefer places where "going out" doesn't mean Walmart. I mean.....

3. What is your favorite season?

I don't know for sure. Definitely not winter. But there are things I love about the other 3! But if I had to pick one, probably spring. It's such a relief after the frigid winter to be able to go out without a coat, wear open toed shoes, and just not drive in the snow. Though, here in Michigan, we usually have at least one "spring" snow storm in April. But I love watching the flowers bloom, going to high school graduations and parties, and just in general the feeling of spring.

4. What one song will always cheer you up?
Hmm..... this is a good question..... I think probably the song "Lean on Me." The cheese factor is just right to always make me laugh. And, when I was younger, my youth group and I went to this youth conference where this was sung A LOT with silly motions. For months afterwards, we would randomly break out in these weird motions and laugh. So, it brings back silly memories as well.

5. What Disney character do you resemble most?
Hmm.... personality wise, probably Belle from Beauty and the Beast. I love to read and like to think I would do things for my family like she did. She's a lot braver than I am, but I have a lot of the same keep-to-herself tendencies that I did. But at the same time, very opinionated.

4 comments:

  1. Lovely. Thanks for the look inside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought my town was pretty bad, but we do have Panera and we do have Starbucks. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list!! My parents now live in a really small town- about 1400 people. They got a Dollar General a few years ago. My mother was so excited, you would have thought they were getting a three story mall!!

    Have a great weekend!

    :)
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Popping in to say hi from FQF. I hope you have a great weekend.

    http://www.lifeofatwinglegal.com

    ReplyDelete