Thursday, July 29, 2010

Day 24 — A movie no one would expect you to love

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.....

Yes, it's true. People are often surprised to learn I'm a HUGE Star Wars fan. Maybe because I generally don't like science fiction or movies with fighting, but I LOVE Star Wars.



The first movie I ever saw in the theater (I think) was Return of the Jedi in 1985. I was really young! I loved it - the Ewoks, the Lightsabre fights, all of it. I wanted to be Princess Leia.

I also had a Star Wars cup, Star Wars figurines (including a C3Pio that came apart!), and played with my brother's figurines as well.

My dad, brother, and I will often quote Star Wars when we're together. Some lines are used often, while others are more obscure. I can recognize pretty much any line from any of the movies and tell you where it's from. It's quite the talent. :)

When Revenge of the Sith came out, I waited in line for one of the first showings (12:30 a.m.) after working all day and going to church! (In my defense, I was leaving for Singapore just a couple days later, so if I hadn't done that I wouldn't have seen it until after the trip. That was just too long!) It was the first time I'd ever gone to a movie opening. It was fun, but a little crazy. People were in all kinds of costumes! (By all kinds, I clearly mean all kinds of Star Wars costumes.) Not to mention how into it people were - cheering loudly during fights, etc.

So, Star Wars movies - love them. I want to have a Star Wars marathon one of these days and watch all 6 back-to-back. Anyone want to join me? (Lisa, I know you do!)

ETA: My love for Star Wars encompasses the Phantom Menace only as part of the series. As a movie, I don't care for it much at all and haven't watched it in like 5 years!

1 comment:

  1. Well, if I have another baby and need a good nap, I would love to join you!

    ReplyDelete