Sunday, July 4, 2010

Day 2 - Favorite Movie

Favorite movie is much easier than favorite song! I still maintain my right to pick more than one, though.

Probably my number #1, all-time absolute favorite is The Sound of Music! It used to be my hands down favorite, then was "one of my favorites," but now I have to say it's probably number #1 again. I used to sing the songs over and over and over as a child. I can still sing them all, I think. I bought the book of sheet music for the songs and can now play them as well. When I first watched it, I didn't quite understand some of it - why did they need to leave? Why wouldn't he just join the army? Wasn't it illegal to leave? But now that I have a much better understanding of who the Nazis were and the evil they were behind, I understand the movie much better!

In addition to The Sound of Music, musicals in general are favorite of mine. Seven Brides for Seven Brothers is probably my second favorite musical. The Music Man, Calamity Jane - this list could go on and on!

Also in the running are the Star Wars movies as a whole. My dad, brother, and I when we're together insert Star Wars quotes where ordinary conversation should be. I think as far as those 6, my favorite is Return of the Jedi, followed by Empire Strikes back, then Attack of the Clones, Revenge of the Sith, the New Hope, and Phantom Menace. Phantom Menace really isn't very good, but I do own it, because you can't own 5/6ths of the Star Wars series - it just isn't right! Currently, my parents have 3 sets of the older ones (Episodes 4-6) and one set of the new ones (Episodes 1-3).

I also love many of the old Doris Day movies, but especially the ones where she starred with Rock Hudson. If you haven't seen Pillow Talk, you really should! I think it's my favorite of the 3 the two of them did together.

As far as more modern movies (i.e. made sometime after I was born), I'm pretty much a romantic comedy fan. But, they have to be clean - I don't like movies with tons of swearing or graphic sex scenes or anything. So, it limits what I watch. But some favorites are Runaway Bride, When In Rome, Sweet Home Alabama, 27 Dresses, etc.

Also, Jane Austen books are great and translate into fantastic movies when done properly. Sense and Sensibility is most likely my favorite, though the Colin Firth Pride and Prejudice is right up there. The Keira Knightley version is fairly good, and Emma is great as well.

Wow, this was an easy topic for me to write about!

Anybody have any suggestions of things I should watch given my taste!

No comments:

Post a Comment