Friday, July 23, 2010

Day 19 - A Talent

So, I'm a little late posting this. I'm on vacation (yay!) and last night stayed in a place without internet access. And I hadn't had time to work on it at work (where I had to work practically the WHOLE time!) before leaving for the trip. So, I'm going to do 19 and maybe 20, but since it's late, maybe I'll just be a day behind. But I really want to write about my trip too.....

Okay, for my talent, I'm going to say playing the piano. I've been playing since I was 5, so that's twentysomething years. :) (I was already made to feel old earlier, so I'm leaving the twentyness of it vague! Again, more about that later!) In addition to playing the piano, I also teach it. Now, back when I was a first grade teacher, it was easier to take the time to teach piano lessons, but now with a 9-5 (or later) instead of the more flexible teaching hours, I've cut WAY back on students. Instead of 14, I have one. And I'm happy with that! I've turned down several, so it's not that I couldn't have more.

I've played in recitals, for weddings, on worship teams, etc. It's one of my more relaxing hobbies. If nothing else, if I'm stressed, I'll just do Hanon exercises until those are in total control, making me feel I can control the rest of the world as easily. It doesn't work. But it does make me feel better. At least I can control my fingers!

Probably my favorite recital song I ever did was The Swan by Saint Saens. It's a BEAUTIFUL melody. But I would get SO nervous for recitals! I would be able to play a piece practically perfect by myself, but get so nervous that it was full of mistakes when I'd do the actual recital!

Worship is a totally different experience. Especially when you're also singing and coordinating with other musicians.

I'm definitely grateful to my parents for putting me through lessons as a child.... and enduring my hours of practice!

No comments:

Post a Comment