Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Miracles Happen

This story gives me chills.

My heart breaks for this poor family, losing such a young child to a tragedy like this. I pray God comforts them in this terrible time.

It also brings up some OLD memories for me.

When I was 8 years old, my family took a trip to Africa to visit my mom's twin sister, her husband, and their 5 kids. The youngest of the children was Justin. He was 2 years old at the time.

My details are slightly foggy, so this won't be incredibly detailed, but we had gone swimming that morning. My cousin Audrey and I were the last ones in the pool. At some point, we went inside, but must not have closed the gate around the pool hard enough for it to latch. (It was difficult to do, and we were only 8 and 6.)

After lunch (I think), I remember playing in Audrey's room with her and suddenly there is a lot of commotion outside the room. We hear that Justin had drowned. The next few minutes are a total blur (though at first we kept playing as we thought they meant he had fallen in the water) but I remember the panic rising in the air.

Miraculously, my uncle had been coming home at a time that he would not usually be coming home at. He noticed the gate was open (the one Audrey and I didn't close properly) and went to close it. It was then that he saw Justin, his baby son, floating face down in the pool. Justin wasn't breathing. They tried CPR on him. By this time, my mom had gathered all of us into one room to pray while my aunt, uncle, and dad were with Justin. He started breathing, but was still unconscious. (Now Justin has told us that at one point he was floating above his body looking down and remembers watching what was going on.) I remember when he started breathing thinking "Oh good. He's fine." My 8-year old brain didn't comprehend that as he was still unconscious and had been without oxygen for 5 minutes or longer, he was not "fine."

My aunt, uncle, dad, and I think another missionary took him to the nearest hospital. Now, we're talking 20 years ago, middle of nowhere in Botswana, Africa - this was not like going to a normal hospital. The hospital did not have a single oxygen mask for anyone smaller than an adult! Medical care was poor, to say the least.

But, God does not need fancy (or any) medical equipment to save a life. Justin not only lived, but thrived. Within 2 days, he was out of the hospital with no damage from what happened.

Today, he and his lovely wife Sarah are missionaries in Africa. Here is a picture of them on their wedding day, a little over 2 years ago!

No comments:

Post a Comment