Thursday, February 25, 2010

Turning 30 :)

I had a very special birthday week last week, and I don't want to forget any of it, so I'm blogging as a way of keeping it as a memory. My birthday was last Tuesday. The real celebration started on the Saturday before. We had a family birthday party. My grandma, my aunt, my cousin, my cousin-in-law, another cousin, my cousin's son, and 2 of my nephews were there. It was a lot of fun seeing everyone. Especially since my cousin Jake and his son Braden were there from New York. It was kind of last minute, so we didn't tell my aunt and grandma he was coming. So it was nice to see their surprised face. We had pizza for dinner and yummy homemade carrot cake for dessert. Of course, there were presents too! One of these was a dog! Luckily, the dog is stuffed - perfect for me. Very cute and cuddly though. We were discussing names when my cousin Ben suggested LM. He quickly told us this stood for "low-mainentance" as I wouldn't have to feed, walk, etc. the dog. I didn't like that, but instead named the dog "Lolo" for the same reason. It's much cuter than "LM."

Then Monday, the last day of my 20s, my roommate and I went out to dinner and a movie. First we went to Kruse and Muer, which is a really tasty restaurant. Unfortunately, due to slow service and even slower driving by my roommate, we missed our movie. :( The next showing wasn't until 9:55. We debated about this as we both get up early for work. Eventually we decided to go for it. Now, the movie theater we were at is inside a mall, so what do you think we did to pass the time? Exactly! We shopped! I splurged on a few items I didn't need as it was practically my birthday and all. The theme for my night was apparently pearls and polka dots - always favorites of mine. But I bought items with both. And it seemed like everything I picked up to look at was one of the other. I love a couple of the pearl necklaces I got! After the stores closed and we still had almost an hour to kill, we went into the theater and talked until the movie started. We saw "When in Rome." Such an incredibly cute, funny movie! And it was clean too! Yay!

Finally, after more slow driving, we got home around 12:30. It was now my official birthday! I was 30! After a few hours of sleep, I had to get up and go to work. Personally, I like the years they declare my birthday a national holiday, though they typically call it "Presidents' Day" and not "Deanna's birthday." Not sure why.... I don't generally get the day off for the holiday, but it's nice knowing the mail carriers do. And when the stock market is closed, my day is a little more relaxed at work.

At work, one of my co-worker's wives had made me a homemade cake from scratch. I thought that was incredibly sweet - and yummy! Also, throughout the day I had SO many texts, facebook messages, etc.

That night, I went to my parents' where they gave me my present, we took pictures, and then went to dinner. We went to Ruby Tuesdays. Yum! Then I went to my friend's house and spent some time with her and her precious baby Vegas. I'm so in love with that little girl. When I go a week without seeing her, I literally ache! My arms feel empty!

The rest of the week passed without much event. Until Saturday, that is. The big party day..... the plan had been to have dinner at Mongolian Bbq for mine and Jessica's (another friend) birthdays (hers is just 3 days after mine), but we couldn't get reservations there. So, instead we went to Don Pablos. NOT a fan of that restaurant, but it was okay. I just don't care much for Mexican food other than Taco Bell. :) Then we went back to Jason's (another friend, also Jessica's fiance) for cake, ice cream, and just hanging out. Lots of fun was had. I think there were about 30 people that came?

Earlier in the day, there had been cake drama! The bakery called me 1 1/2 hours before I was supposed to pick up the cake to say they couldn't make it the way it was ordered. Then it sounded like they didn't have it at all! But it all worked out. We got our cake with buttercream frosting as wanted. I got several lovely gifts from several lovely friends - most notably Starbucks gift cards and a DSW gift card. Interesting. Why would people get me those? hehe. One of the gift cards from Starbucks came earlier in the day from my brother and his family in Singapore!

Okay, with the end of Saturday night, my birthday celebrations were officially over. :( Or so I thought! Sunday night at church I had a surprise cake and my kids had all made me cards! I almost cried. Especially once the kids ate cake and got hyper. But still, very sweet. I was feeling slightly burnt out prior to that because I've been covering for the children's pastor at one church as well as doing my usual at my second church, so that meant a lot of children's ministry in a very short amount of time (teaching 3 times in 24 hours? a lot). So it was extra sweet given my current state of mind.

If you're reading this and you were a part of any part of any of the celebrations, I thank you!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment